As Fall is descending, shorter days approach, and enjoying the football season from our TVs in the comfort of our HOMES is taking center stage, add in some delicious food. This recipe is sure to delight, has some healthy kicks to boot, and also makes a great tailgate contribution. Here’s a ‘hail mary’ from HOME’S kitchen.
All Things Family:
The Heart of HOME--The Food That Comes Out of the Kitchen
Deep-Dish Pizza With Turkey Sausage,
Crispy Kale and Brussels Sprouts
Don’t be fooled by the title – making this once will open the door to requests for it again and again!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ pounds pizza dough,(TJ’s) at room temperature
- ½ cup (or more) prepared pesto (TJ’s jar-excellent!)
- 1½ cups shredded provolone (6 ounces)
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella chunks
- ½ pound uncooked turkey sausage, crumbled
- ½ pound Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced (thin = camouflage)
- 1 bag shredded Kale (TJ’s), chopped finely (finely = crispy potential)
Heat oven to 425° F with a rack in the lowest position. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with 2 tablespoons of the oil.
One of the keys to making deep-dish pizza is to line the baking dish with dough. Press the dough into the pan, covering the bottom and sides. In this order, top the dough with the pesto, cheese, sausage, Brussels sprouts, and kale. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.
Bake until the crust is golden brown, the sausage is cooked through, and the kale is crispy- 30 to 35 minutes. Let the pizza rest for 5 minutes before serving.